Welcome, and well met!

I'm a fan of pen-and-paper RPG's and board games. That's what you are going to find on this site. Sometimes there might be a blurb about the Secret World MMO, my latest DMing project, or a new game that our family has picked up. The focus here is my drifting through Wisconsin's gaming communities. Links will be added as cons are visited, games are played, and authoring is published. Wander around. Grab a tankard. Relax and immerse yourself into polyhedron geekness, Wisconsin style!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Into the Valley...

Today was another Fuzzy Hero day.
Wow.
Sometimes, my daughter takes me to school.
We had a special playdate/guest today. His name is Z and his father was curious about the whole FH thing. Z was great. He is also a 5-year-old and has some experience in games, RPG's, and console adventures. It was interesting to observe the dynamics between my daughter and Z during this game.
Long story short: He soared, she cried.
OK, the upsides: The threats were real to the kids. Prior to the opening battle (there were two, total); the anticipation and planning from both kids was pretty high. The mix of six different dragons allowed me to present six unique combat styles, which I could use to change up the board and force inclusion with my daughter when she began to drift off.
The downsides: My daughter is an only child. The game became competition for dad's attention. Z is the better player, and my daughter grew to dislike this adventure. I am not sure how much of this is because of the way I GM'ed the event. I'll have to reflect on that. I hope that this has not soured her taste for gaming.
Places where I succeeded: I made it a simple, run-across-the-board-and-survive game. It taught Z the rules, his dad was able to give suggestions, everyone involved was able to stay focused.
Places where I crashed and burned: I might have over-amped Z's characters. That, or Z is simply a good player who used his resources to the best of his ability.
It's quiet now. LEGOs are being played with, and my daughter sounds like her chipper old self. I'll point out the good stuff that she did from time to time over the next few days. We'll see how she reacts when she sees Z in school tomorrow...
Ahhh parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment