Welcome, and well met!

I'm a fan of pen-and-paper RPG's and board games. That's what you are going to find on this site. Sometimes there might be a blurb about the Secret World MMO, my latest DMing project, or a new game that our family has picked up. The focus here is my drifting through Wisconsin's gaming communities. Links will be added as cons are visited, games are played, and authoring is published. Wander around. Grab a tankard. Relax and immerse yourself into polyhedron geekness, Wisconsin style!

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Over the Hump

OK. Now I'm at 22,041 words. What is nice about this number is not the NUMBER; rather the WORDS. I'm done. It's a first draft, but I am done. Now the re-writes begin.
My first re-write for this week is to eliminate redundancy. I'm good at repeating myself as I write. It aids in focusing elements of the game / story as I go along. However; now is the time to pull those 'weeds'.
Then I check the word count.
My second re-write will be one of 'trimming fat'. Something should take three words instead of ten, then cut it back to three words.
Then I check the word count.
My third re-write is the 'cold read'. This is where I try to put my mind into the place of someone reading this for the first time and use that mind set to critically expand missing bits and smooth out each section of story flow.
Then I check the word count.
Then I cheer or weep when the word count is all wrong. My end goal: 20,000 words. We'll see.
-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment